Monday, July 11, 2016

My new website

After losing my decades old domain indergopal.com that was coming most times in the first ten in Google searches I had to take on a new domain www.indergopalphotography.com I had heard and was even told by knowledgeable people dealing in website hosting that generally the domain is available after about 40 days. The reason I had been paying more than Rs. 2500 per annum for renewal to Networking Solutions where as here it was roughly Rs. 400 odd for annual renewal charges. I sent requests for domain transfer but NS ignored. To avoid auto renewal as it happened a year before when about two to three months before they renewed since some how auto option was left there. This time I did changed the option as I wanted to shift domain to another domain hosting company.

Anyways I got a chance to redesign my website that I had been wanting for quite many years. Shifting to Mac I lost use of web designing software that I had got used to and for quite a long time I could not make changes on regular basis.  A photographer friend introduced me to PHP and gave me a template to further develop my website. Well I was never a regular blogger by being absent for long. Since to keep my presence I did update my blog with my commercial work to keep me in the circuit. By the way I have never had any regular coaching in designing website or as a matter of fact working with any softwares. I have learnt by devoting lots of time reading on the net and this small knowledge has helped me doing my own promotions. I had been busy setting up pages and populating the same with relevant material. Lots of it has been done but still more needs to be done. Surely it will help me as I keep populating my web pages in getting better hierarchy in various search engines and hope to reach my earlier position in Google.

I had planned to have a separate website for my stock images that I have been shooting for the last few years. I wanted to be able to sell from there itself. I had bought a domain name as well but gave up the idea. Initially I had got in touch with a friend of my son who is into web designing. I had hoped he would set up both my personal domain and stock domain but he went easy with out doing much. Seeing no way of the websites being designed I left the domain for stock photography. I am not very keen to go in to so those commercial web designing shops who to take the job give a lot of assurances but do not deliver. With in my immediate circle I have seen how they behave after getting the money. One friend lost his domain to bad business practice of a web designing company who held back everything related to their domain. The kind of blackmailing they do just to hold back some one who wishes to shift to another because of bad after sales service.

I can say there are many who out number the genuine professionals in web designing. Mercenaries I would term these short changing professionals. Trust me this is not the only field we find similar fly by night professional out to make it big with in few months.

Whatever happened, happened for the good that has given me a chance to redesign the website. THE BIGGEST GAIN I made was of getting to know PHP and it has helped me for not going in for expensive web designing softwares.

Do visit my website http://www.indergopalphotography.com  and I would appreciate your comments that will help me improve my website.
Thanks for going through my blog. Cheers. 

No comments: